Located at a distance of 60 Kms from Bangalore city, Ramanagara is one of the most popular trekking spots around Bangalore. Also called as Ramadevara Betta, the hill is famous for its two temples which are visited by lot of people. The top of the hill has a small lake which has temples on either side. One of these temples is dedicated to Lord Shiva and Parvati while the other one is dedicated to Lord Rama. The place also got famous as it was the shooting location of the hit Bollywood movie Sholay. Ramanagara Night Trek is preferred by trekkers, planning for a short and exciting trek.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Trek Distance : 1.5 Kms
Estimated Time : 1 hrs approx to reach the top
- State : Karnataka
- Located at : 60 Kms from Bangalore City
- Town : Ramanagara
- Nearest Railway Station : Ramnagar(RMR)
- Nearest Airport : Bengaluru International Airport(BLR)
How to Reach :
From Bengaluru there are two ways to reach :
- By Bus: Catch a bus plying through Bangalore-Mysore.
- By Bike : Drive on Bangalore-Mysore highway. Take the right deviation on Mysore highway after Ghousia college, Ramanagara and follow the road for 2 Kms.
- By Train : Catch a train plying towards Mysore and get down at Ramnagar Station. Catch an Auto and ask for Ramdevara hills and you will reach within 15 minutes.
Things to carry along :
- Hiking Shoes
- Water and Snacks
- Energy Food(Chocolate Bars,Flavored milk,Electrolyte drinks)
- Personal Medication
- Light weight cloths
- Flash Light(if night trek)+extra batteries
- Matchbox(to setup campfire)
- Tent/Sleeping Bags
Budget : 200 INR approx(Travelled through Bike from Bangalore).
My Memory :
We started from Bangalore city at around 2 am on bikes. We took the Bangalore-Mysore highway and reached Ramanagara by 3 am. By that time the entrance gates were closed that leads to the temple premises. However there was a separate entrance for people coming through walk.
We parked the bikes outside and started walking towards the temple. Initially there are around 300 to 400 steps to reach the temple premises. Thereafter there are few steps that are carved on the stone and also railings on the sides for support.
We climbed up easily and within an hour we reached the top. We started exploring the place all around and we could see the City of Ramanagara glowing in lights. Its a small hill as compared to other treks like Savandurga , Madhugiri or Makalidurga but it gave a pleasant view of the surroundings. Green vegetation all around and small hills surrounding provides a pleasant view.
One can however take the other route which requires a bit of trekking experience which adds thrill to the trek. However the temple route is short and is preferred especially by first time trekkers. We took few Landscape shots with blue sky all around and started down the hill after the sunrise. And there ends ours pleasant trip to Ramanagara.
A daytrek to Ramanagara is also preferred by birdwatchers as the hills are inhabited by Egyptian vultures and Indian vultures. The area has been designated as Ramadevarabetta Vulture Sanctuary by the Karnataka Government to conserve the birds that are on the verge of extinction.
- Carry enough water atleast 2 ltrs of water since the last point of getting water is near the Temple premises.
- Carry your Camera since you can capture amazing Landscape shots.
- Wear good Sports or Hiking shoes since that will provide good grip on the rock.
Explore and Enjoy Trekking
Please share your reviews and experience in the below comment section. Keep visiting the page to plan your next trip!