Madhugiri, a single hill stands at 3,930 ft(1,200 m) elevation. It is the second largest monolith in Asia next to Savandurga. On the top lies a Fort and a series of doorways leads to the hill. There are three gateways for the Fort. Madhugiri Trek is steep and requires good footwork.
Difficulty : Moderate
Trek Distance : 3-4 Kms
Estimated Time : 2 hrs approx to reach the top
- State : Karnataka
- Located at : 106 Kms from Bangalore City
- Near by town : Tumkur(47 Kms)
- Nearest Railway Station : Tumkur(TK)
- Nearest Airport : Bengaluru International Airport(BLR)
How to Reach :
From Bengaluru there are two ways to reach Madhugiri:
- via Nelamangala, Dabaspet (in Dabaspet take a right turn), Urdigere, Koratagere to Madhugiri (102 km). For this route there is a KSRTC bus every 25 min from Bengaluru(Majestic).
- Catch Sarige bus plying from Majestic to pavagada. Travel time : 3 hrs
- via Tumkur, Koratagere to Madhugiri (114 km).
From Tumkur, there are two ways to reach Madhugiri:
- on leaving Tumkur, there is a deviation that goes via Siddara Betta and Chennarayana Durga to Madhugiri,
- the other deviation goes directly to Madhugiri via Koratagere.
Things to carry along :
- Hiking Shoes
- Water and Snacks
- Energy Food(Chocolate Bars,Flavored milk,Electrolyte drinks)
- Personal Medication
- Light colored cloths
- Torch(if night trek)+extra batteries
Budget : 400 INR approx (includes breakfast,lunch and travel through KSRTC bus from Bangalore <-> Madhugiri).
Madhugiri Fort was constructed by Raja Hira Gowda in the 17th century around 1670 AD. The name is derived from the Honeybee colonies which were widespread in those days towards the northern parts of the fortress. There are two large temples located in Madhugiri one is Venkatramana and other is Malleswara. The interesting part is the rock dome, atop which stands a fort.
Brief Description :
We started off from Bangalore city at around 8 am . We boarded a Sarige Ksrtc bus plying through pavagada from majestic bus station. The frequency of buses is about every 15 minutes and it took us about 3 hours to reach Madhugiri. It was the month of september and it was bright and sunny day.
The entrance to the hill is to the right to the busstop. We had to walk about 250 metres to reach the entrance of the hill. A series of steps lead the way initially . The hill is surrounded by the walls of the fort and a series of doorways lead us to the top .
Initially there are steps carved on stone and it was easy going forward. As the trek progressed the ascent got steeper and there were railings on one side for support. After reaching a point which looked like we were on the top but that was just an assumption but we were way far behind.
Then comes the dome type structure fort and near it lies a pond that was used to save water during those days. With every step we took, the hill got bigger and bigger . We were deceived by the walls that blocked the view to the peak.
Then comes the difficult part of the trek . The railings were gone off for about 15 to 20 steps and there is no support to take and the the way is completely inclined. One has to take support from the rock towards the right and take the steps wisely on the carved steps.
By the time we crossed that we were almost half way up and the view of the town was mesmerizing. The hills surrounding gave a pleasant view. Thereafter there is no support of railings moving forward and its only the carved steps to give support. However there are arrow(->) marks that will lead to the top.
Once you reach the top, there is a Fort on the peak and its a complete Bird eye view of the town. The hills surrounding it brings a pleasant view. Its a hotspot for photographers taking Landscape shots. We started coming down at around 2 Pm and had lunch in one of the hotel near the bus stop.We caught a bus at 4PM and returned back to bangalore by 7PM.
It was our first memorable trek and yes Madhugiri Trek was bit difficult since it was the first one and it was a sunny day and the rock was reflecting a lot of heat.
Few Tips :
- Carry atleast 2 ltrs of water and light snacks. Do not carry unnecessary stuff.
- Wear a shoe with good grip. Sports shoes are recommended since good grip is required for ascent and descent.
- Avoid going during rainy season since the rock gets slippery and its impossible to climb
- Wear Cap or hat in order to avoid the heat from the sun
Explore and Enjoy Trekking
Please share your reviews and experience in the below comment section. Keep visiting the page to plan your next trip!